July 10, 2020
Father Cadin’s Email
Thank you for sharing your thoughts regarding the resignation of Fr. Dan Moloney as Chaplain at MIT. I have received and read your email. Cardinal Seán has asked me to respond to you.
It is clear that since Fr. Moloney’s email communication of Sunday, June 7, there have been many diverse opinions regarding the substance of his message and his subsequent resignation. Fr. Moloney enjoyed his time as chaplain and he was effective in ministering to the Catholic community. That said, the statements he made in his Sunday email, while not intentional, were nonetheless hurtful to many people. Furthermore, they were not consistent with the Cardinal’s recent statement nor the position of the Archdiocese. We heard from a number of people associated with the MIT Catholic community, alumni, and others who were very upset at his comments. The appointment, while provided for by the Archdiocese, is at the discretion of the university. We enjoy a collaborative relationship with the university and we look forward to the appointment of a new chaplain in the not too distant future.
I am including the statement we provided to the MIT Catholic community on Tuesday, June 9.
Again, thank you for your email, I invite you to join me in praying for unity and healing at MIT, within the Catholic Community there, and in our country at large; and for Fr. Moloney.
Fr. Eric Cadin
Director of University Ministry
Archdiocese of Boston
Crisis Magazine Comments Policy
This is a Catholic forum. As such:
- All comments must directly address the article. “I tell you, on the day of judgment men will render account for every careless word they utter.” (Matthew 12:36)
- No profanity, ad hominems, hot tempers, or racial or religious invectives. “And be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you.” (Ephesians 4:32)
- We will not tolerate heresy, calumny, or attacks upon our Holy Mother Church or Holy Father. “And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the powers of death shall not prevail against it.” (Matthew 16:18)
- Keep it brief. No lengthy rants or block quotes. “For you are a mist that appears for a little time and then vanishes.” (James 4:14)
- If you see a comment that doesn’t meet our standards, please flag it so a moderator may remove it. “Brethren, if a man is overtaken in any trespass, you who are spiritual should restore him in a spirit of gentleness.” (Galatians 6:1)
- All comments may be removed at the moderators’ discretion. “But of that day and hour no one knows…” (Matthew 24:36)
- Crisis isn’t responsible for the content of the comments box. Comments do not represent the views of Crisis magazine, its editors, authors, or publishers. “Why do you pass judgment on your brother? Or you, why do you despise your brother? For we shall all stand before the judgment seat of God… So each of us shall give account of himself to God.” (Romans 14:10, 12)