March 22, 2011
Vatican’s $1 Million Business Investment
Micro cap NeoStem, Inc (NBS) has been working in the area of adult stem cells, making notable discoveries and picking up acquisitions along the way. Its business model may have them in the red as of today, but there’s something about the company that has attracted the Vatican’s attention. And money.
The Vatican has placed a $1 million stake in NBS, and they are co-hosting a conference on adult stem cells in Rome this November. According to this blog, the million dollars will help fund “an educational campaign” towards “cultural relevance of such a fundamental shift in medical treatment options, particularly with regard to the impact on theological and ethical issues,” said Rev. Tomasz Trafny of the Pontifical Council for Culture.
What is it the Vatican likes about this company? Perhaps it’s the way it’s supporting a technology that has extradordinary promise in healing people. Maybe it’s simply that the company provides an alternative to embryonic stem cells, and that fight needs to be supported. Or it could be the way that it incorporates charitable institutions and education within its business plans. Of course, there’s also the fact that despite its current financial status, it’s in excellent position to start making a profit within the near future.
It’s very rare for the Vatican to step into the world of finance with both feet. We should pay attention when it does.
(Disclosure: I own no stock in NBS at present, though that may change.)
Crisis Magazine Comments Policy
This is a Catholic forum. As such:
- All comments must directly address the article. “I tell you, on the day of judgment men will render account for every careless word they utter.” (Matthew 12:36)
- No profanity, ad hominems, hot tempers, or racial or religious invectives. “And be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you.” (Ephesians 4:32)
- We will not tolerate heresy, calumny, or attacks upon our Holy Mother Church or Holy Father. “And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the powers of death shall not prevail against it.” (Matthew 16:18)
- Keep it brief. No lengthy rants or block quotes. “For you are a mist that appears for a little time and then vanishes.” (James 4:14)
- If you see a comment that doesn’t meet our standards, please flag it so a moderator may remove it. “Brethren, if a man is overtaken in any trespass, you who are spiritual should restore him in a spirit of gentleness.” (Galatians 6:1)
- All comments may be removed at the moderators’ discretion. “But of that day and hour no one knows…” (Matthew 24:36)
- Crisis isn’t responsible for the content of the comments box. Comments do not represent the views of Crisis magazine, its editors, authors, or publishers. “Why do you pass judgment on your brother? Or you, why do you despise your brother? For we shall all stand before the judgment seat of God… So each of us shall give account of himself to God.” (Romans 14:10, 12)