March 14, 2011
Tragedy in Japan
I know we have all been riveted, and horrified, by the news coming out of Japan this weekend in the wake of Friday’s massive earthquake and tsunami. Below is just a sampling of some of the stories, images, and ways to help out there on the Web right now:
- Above, a before-and-after Google Earth image of Arahama in Sendai. ABC news has more here. Dragging that slider bar across the images feels like erasing the entire country…
- News about a second explosion at an already troubled nuclear power plant. Officials say that “the reactor’s containment was not damaged and although radiation was leaked, levels were low.”
- Via the Browser: Some perspective from a businessman on the ground in Japan, who says the nation’s preparedness for natural disasters has already kept the potential fallout from being even worse.
- A profile of a Jesuit missionary who had ministered in Japan for 50 years and was one of the thousands who lost his life over the weekend.
- “Why do we suffer?” A touching and thoughtful reflection from Father James Martin on the age-old problem of evil and suffering in the world.
- Finally, and perhaps most importantly, ways you can help: Donate to Catholic Relief Services or the Japanese Red Cross Society (via Google’s helpful crisis response page).
Feel free to leave other links in the comments. St. Francis Xavier, pray for them.
Crisis Magazine Comments Policy
This is a Catholic forum. As such:
- All comments must directly address the article. “I tell you, on the day of judgment men will render account for every careless word they utter.” (Matthew 12:36)
- No profanity, ad hominems, hot tempers, or racial or religious invectives. “And be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you.” (Ephesians 4:32)
- We will not tolerate heresy, calumny, or attacks upon our Holy Mother Church or Holy Father. “And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the powers of death shall not prevail against it.” (Matthew 16:18)
- Keep it brief. No lengthy rants or block quotes. “For you are a mist that appears for a little time and then vanishes.” (James 4:14)
- If you see a comment that doesn’t meet our standards, please flag it so a moderator may remove it. “Brethren, if a man is overtaken in any trespass, you who are spiritual should restore him in a spirit of gentleness.” (Galatians 6:1)
- All comments may be removed at the moderators’ discretion. “But of that day and hour no one knows…” (Matthew 24:36)
- Crisis isn’t responsible for the content of the comments box. Comments do not represent the views of Crisis magazine, its editors, authors, or publishers. “Why do you pass judgment on your brother? Or you, why do you despise your brother? For we shall all stand before the judgment seat of God… So each of us shall give account of himself to God.” (Romans 14:10, 12)