October 21, 2011
The Road Ahead for Crisis
To our readers:
These are exciting yet challenging times at Crisis. When we hung out our “Gone Fishing” sign back in late July — without indicating a firm date when we would return — some faithful readers wondered if there were changes in the works behind the scenes. And, indeed, in the months since our vacation, some big changes have come to pass: After a successful and unstinting tenure as the president and editor-in-chief of Crisis, Brian Saint-Paul has moved on to a position in the financial industry. His leadership and dedication to the magazine over the years cannot be overstated, and we will miss him.
With Brian’s departure, the magazine itself is entering a transitional phase. The Crisis board, which is overseeing this transition, has every intention of keeping Crisis the strong, faithful Catholic voice the magazine has always been, guided by the particular concerns of its past leaders Ralph McInerny, Michael Novak, and Deal Hudson. While the site undergoes a management change — and new avenues are explored to deliver in-depth analysis of faith, cultural, and economic issues — our commitment to our mission will remain the same.
As a new management structure is put in place, Harold Fickett will be serving as interim publisher and executive editor; John Zmirak will serve as interim editor. We will provide further information in the coming days, but in the meantime, we appreciate your continued support.
Crisis Magazine Comments Policy
This is a Catholic forum. As such:
- All comments must directly address the article. “I tell you, on the day of judgment men will render account for every careless word they utter.” (Matthew 12:36)
- No profanity, ad hominems, hot tempers, or racial or religious invectives. “And be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you.” (Ephesians 4:32)
- We will not tolerate heresy, calumny, or attacks upon our Holy Mother Church or Holy Father. “And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the powers of death shall not prevail against it.” (Matthew 16:18)
- Keep it brief. No lengthy rants or block quotes. “For you are a mist that appears for a little time and then vanishes.” (James 4:14)
- If you see a comment that doesn’t meet our standards, please flag it so a moderator may remove it. “Brethren, if a man is overtaken in any trespass, you who are spiritual should restore him in a spirit of gentleness.” (Galatians 6:1)
- All comments may be removed at the moderators’ discretion. “But of that day and hour no one knows…” (Matthew 24:36)
- Crisis isn’t responsible for the content of the comments box. Comments do not represent the views of Crisis magazine, its editors, authors, or publishers. “Why do you pass judgment on your brother? Or you, why do you despise your brother? For we shall all stand before the judgment seat of God… So each of us shall give account of himself to God.” (Romans 14:10, 12)