January 9, 2011
Sunday Comics: Manga Bible Stories
My kids really love the full-color Manga Messiah series. There’s the original book; about the life of Jesus; Manga Metamorphosis (about Acts of the Apostles); Manga Mutiny (about Genesis and Exodus); and Manga Melech (from Joshua to King David). They’re all on Amazon.com for about $10 each. My kids read and re-read these to the point where they’re “loved to death,” as it were.
Here are some page samples from around the Internet, though I wasn’t able to put together a complete story:
It portrays the all-important moments of the Annunciation and the Institiution of the Eucharist in reasonable ways; we talked with the kids about anything the comics might have written from a slightly Protestant perspective. I’ve read them and find them entertaining enough, but they really are more for the kids. That said, I recommend these comics without reservation.
Here’s a way to find them all, along with some other Christian manga that I haven’t read and can’t comment upon. Happy reading!
Crisis Magazine Comments Policy
This is a Catholic forum. As such:
- All comments must directly address the article. “I tell you, on the day of judgment men will render account for every careless word they utter.” (Matthew 12:36)
- No profanity, ad hominems, hot tempers, or racial or religious invectives. “And be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you.” (Ephesians 4:32)
- We will not tolerate heresy, calumny, or attacks upon our Holy Mother Church or Holy Father. “And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the powers of death shall not prevail against it.” (Matthew 16:18)
- Keep it brief. No lengthy rants or block quotes. “For you are a mist that appears for a little time and then vanishes.” (James 4:14)
- If you see a comment that doesn’t meet our standards, please flag it so a moderator may remove it. “Brethren, if a man is overtaken in any trespass, you who are spiritual should restore him in a spirit of gentleness.” (Galatians 6:1)
- All comments may be removed at the moderators’ discretion. “But of that day and hour no one knows…” (Matthew 24:36)
- Crisis isn’t responsible for the content of the comments box. Comments do not represent the views of Crisis magazine, its editors, authors, or publishers. “Why do you pass judgment on your brother? Or you, why do you despise your brother? For we shall all stand before the judgment seat of God… So each of us shall give account of himself to God.” (Romans 14:10, 12)