January 14, 2011
Friday Free-for-All: January 14
Happy Friday! A few links to get the day started:
- It’s official: John Paul II will be beatified on May 1 this year, Divine Mercy Sunday.
- After an incident where the child of a lesbian couple was asked to withdraw from his Catholic school, the Archdiocese of Boston has issued a “no discrimination” policy in all of its schools (provided that parents “accept and understand that the teachings of the Catholic Church are an essential and required part of the curriculum”).
- People started panicking yesterday when a news story suggested that the zodiac calendar had changed, changing their sign along with it, but not to worry — it’s still the same silliness it always was.
- How Iowa Trappists made and donated the casket for Christina Green, the 9-year-old victim in Saturday’s Tucson shooting. Christina’s funeral was yesterday.
- Tim Drake on a new iPhone app, “Penance,” that allows users to “confess” their sins to others, offer “absolution,” and score “horns” or “halos.” Is this just a silly game or an attack on the Sacrament?
- A quick shout-out to our friend Tito Edwards, who has launched The Pulp.it — a twice-daily collection of “the best punditry in the Catholic blogosphere.” Tito trolls the webs, looking for the most interesting tidbits from Catholic writers so you don’t have to. Definitely a handy resource to have bookmarked.
- The flooding in Australia shows no signs of abating, and the government is facing a national disaster of biblical proportions. Here, a video tour through Brisbane gives you an idea of just how bad things are:
Crisis Magazine Comments Policy
This is a Catholic forum. As such:
- All comments must directly address the article. “I tell you, on the day of judgment men will render account for every careless word they utter.” (Matthew 12:36)
- No profanity, ad hominems, hot tempers, or racial or religious invectives. “And be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you.” (Ephesians 4:32)
- We will not tolerate heresy, calumny, or attacks upon our Holy Mother Church or Holy Father. “And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the powers of death shall not prevail against it.” (Matthew 16:18)
- Keep it brief. No lengthy rants or block quotes. “For you are a mist that appears for a little time and then vanishes.” (James 4:14)
- If you see a comment that doesn’t meet our standards, please flag it so a moderator may remove it. “Brethren, if a man is overtaken in any trespass, you who are spiritual should restore him in a spirit of gentleness.” (Galatians 6:1)
- All comments may be removed at the moderators’ discretion. “But of that day and hour no one knows…” (Matthew 24:36)
- Crisis isn’t responsible for the content of the comments box. Comments do not represent the views of Crisis magazine, its editors, authors, or publishers. “Why do you pass judgment on your brother? Or you, why do you despise your brother? For we shall all stand before the judgment seat of God… So each of us shall give account of himself to God.” (Romans 14:10, 12)