October 20, 2010
Will I need a bikini or a down-filled parka?
I’m so confused about which future climate scenario I’m supposed to be dreading: a mini ice age or an expansive drought?
Live Science reported yesterday that some scientists are predicting a severe drought for two thirds of the Western hemisphere by the year 2030:
“We are facing the possibility of widespread drought in the coming decades, but this has yet to be fully recognized by both the public and the climate change research community,” said National Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR) scientist and study team member Aiguo Dai. “If the projections in this study come even close to being realized, the consequences for society worldwide will be enormous.”
However, other scientists have said we’re going into a small ice age, and it will continue for decades because of global warming’s effects on ocean temperatures.
So which is it: ice age or heat wave? Or will it be a mini ice age until 2030 and then a drought? Do any of these climate experts know what they’re talking about? Sometimes it seems like betting on the horse races.
Crisis Magazine Comments Policy
This is a Catholic forum. As such:
- All comments must directly address the article. “I tell you, on the day of judgment men will render account for every careless word they utter.” (Matthew 12:36)
- No profanity, ad hominems, hot tempers, or racial or religious invectives. “And be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you.” (Ephesians 4:32)
- We will not tolerate heresy, calumny, or attacks upon our Holy Mother Church or Holy Father. “And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the powers of death shall not prevail against it.” (Matthew 16:18)
- Keep it brief. No lengthy rants or block quotes. “For you are a mist that appears for a little time and then vanishes.” (James 4:14)
- If you see a comment that doesn’t meet our standards, please flag it so a moderator may remove it. “Brethren, if a man is overtaken in any trespass, you who are spiritual should restore him in a spirit of gentleness.” (Galatians 6:1)
- All comments may be removed at the moderators’ discretion. “But of that day and hour no one knows…” (Matthew 24:36)
- Crisis isn’t responsible for the content of the comments box. Comments do not represent the views of Crisis magazine, its editors, authors, or publishers. “Why do you pass judgment on your brother? Or you, why do you despise your brother? For we shall all stand before the judgment seat of God… So each of us shall give account of himself to God.” (Romans 14:10, 12)