October 24, 2010
Sunday Comics: Catholic in Action 6
First, here’s some news about a real-life Catholic in Action: Cardinal Thuan’s cause has officially opened, giving him the title Servant of God Francis Xavier Nguyen Van Thuan! If you don’t know about him, do your soul a favor and rent this DVD or buy this book. He’s truly an amazing future saint.
Below is part 6 of the ten-part series Catholics in Action, which ran from 1952-1953 in the Catholic school comic book Treasure Chest of Fun and Fact. These pages come from Catholic University’s online archive. It also features the origin of the widely-used Faith and Freedom readers, still available through Seton Educational Media. Read on:
I can personally vouch for the high quality of the Faith and Freedom series, which helped my 2nd son learn to read when he refused to touch any other book. That said, does anyone know about The Good Red Bricks or any of her other novels?
Crisis Magazine Comments Policy
This is a Catholic forum. As such:
- All comments must directly address the article. “I tell you, on the day of judgment men will render account for every careless word they utter.” (Matthew 12:36)
- No profanity, ad hominems, hot tempers, or racial or religious invectives. “And be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you.” (Ephesians 4:32)
- We will not tolerate heresy, calumny, or attacks upon our Holy Mother Church or Holy Father. “And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the powers of death shall not prevail against it.” (Matthew 16:18)
- Keep it brief. No lengthy rants or block quotes. “For you are a mist that appears for a little time and then vanishes.” (James 4:14)
- If you see a comment that doesn’t meet our standards, please flag it so a moderator may remove it. “Brethren, if a man is overtaken in any trespass, you who are spiritual should restore him in a spirit of gentleness.” (Galatians 6:1)
- All comments may be removed at the moderators’ discretion. “But of that day and hour no one knows…” (Matthew 24:36)
- Crisis isn’t responsible for the content of the comments box. Comments do not represent the views of Crisis magazine, its editors, authors, or publishers. “Why do you pass judgment on your brother? Or you, why do you despise your brother? For we shall all stand before the judgment seat of God… So each of us shall give account of himself to God.” (Romans 14:10, 12)