August 3, 2010
Sex tapes: The new path to fame
Why do so many celebrities make sex tapes? It’s weird. It seems a clear sign that porn has infiltrated so many lives, and technology has made it easy.
The “embarrassing” sex tapes may not be so accidental, according to Mary Elizabeth Williams of Slate who says these tapes are often publicity stunts to pave the way to more attention and fame.
There’s no better example of this than yesterday’s story about 19 year-old wanna-be actress, Montana Fishburne (the daughter of actor Laurence Fishburne), who decided to purposely make and release a sex tape to help launch her acting career:
Vivid Entertainment, the adult film company that gave us the notorious Kim Kardashian and Kendra Wilkinson tapes, explains Miss Fishburne’s surprising foray into porn. “I view making this movie as an important first step in my career,” she says. “I’ve watched how successful Kim Kardashian became and I think a lot of it was due to the release of her sex tape by Vivid. I’m hoping the same magic will work for me. I’m impatient about getting well-known and having more opportunities and this seemed like a great way to get started on it.”
The early feminists must be turning in their graves. Sadder still is that it may give Fishburne the fame she wants.
Crisis Magazine Comments Policy
This is a Catholic forum. As such:
- All comments must directly address the article. “I tell you, on the day of judgment men will render account for every careless word they utter.” (Matthew 12:36)
- No profanity, ad hominems, hot tempers, or racial or religious invectives. “And be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you.” (Ephesians 4:32)
- We will not tolerate heresy, calumny, or attacks upon our Holy Mother Church or Holy Father. “And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the powers of death shall not prevail against it.” (Matthew 16:18)
- Keep it brief. No lengthy rants or block quotes. “For you are a mist that appears for a little time and then vanishes.” (James 4:14)
- If you see a comment that doesn’t meet our standards, please flag it so a moderator may remove it. “Brethren, if a man is overtaken in any trespass, you who are spiritual should restore him in a spirit of gentleness.” (Galatians 6:1)
- All comments may be removed at the moderators’ discretion. “But of that day and hour no one knows…” (Matthew 24:36)
- Crisis isn’t responsible for the content of the comments box. Comments do not represent the views of Crisis magazine, its editors, authors, or publishers. “Why do you pass judgment on your brother? Or you, why do you despise your brother? For we shall all stand before the judgment seat of God… So each of us shall give account of himself to God.” (Romans 14:10, 12)