February 23, 2010
Sen. Harry Reid Needs a Long Vacation
The only thing that explains Sen. Harry Reid’s latest verbal gaffe is stress and exhaustion — he needs a long vacation.
Standing on the floor of the Senate yesterday with notes, yes, with notes on the podium in front of him, the majority leader said,
I met with some people while I was home dealing with domestic abuse. It has gotten out of hand. . . . Why? Men don’t have jobs.
Women don’t have jobs either, but women aren’t abusive, most of the time.
Men, when they’re out of work, tend to become abusive. . . . Our domestic crisis shelters in Nevada are jammed.
The unemployed women of Nevada will be glad to know they are not abusers “most of the time.”
If Harry Reid loses his Senate seat in November, he will have to overcome the evidently irresistable temptation to commit domestic abuse.
Mrs. Reid should consider some type of proactive preparation, say, kung fu training.
Crisis Magazine Comments Policy
This is a Catholic forum. As such:
- All comments must directly address the article. “I tell you, on the day of judgment men will render account for every careless word they utter.” (Matthew 12:36)
- No profanity, ad hominems, hot tempers, or racial or religious invectives. “And be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you.” (Ephesians 4:32)
- We will not tolerate heresy, calumny, or attacks upon our Holy Mother Church or Holy Father. “And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the powers of death shall not prevail against it.” (Matthew 16:18)
- Keep it brief. No lengthy rants or block quotes. “For you are a mist that appears for a little time and then vanishes.” (James 4:14)
- If you see a comment that doesn’t meet our standards, please flag it so a moderator may remove it. “Brethren, if a man is overtaken in any trespass, you who are spiritual should restore him in a spirit of gentleness.” (Galatians 6:1)
- All comments may be removed at the moderators’ discretion. “But of that day and hour no one knows…” (Matthew 24:36)
- Crisis isn’t responsible for the content of the comments box. Comments do not represent the views of Crisis magazine, its editors, authors, or publishers. “Why do you pass judgment on your brother? Or you, why do you despise your brother? For we shall all stand before the judgment seat of God… So each of us shall give account of himself to God.” (Romans 14:10, 12)