January 23, 2010
Oakland A’s Baseball Star Enters the Priesthood
Matt Smith, writing at Catholic Advocate, comments on decision of Grant Desme to enter the priesthood. Desme is a rising star for the Oakland A’s baseball team.
God Gets a Draft Pick
By Matt Smith
Grant Desme just became the #1 draft pick on the softball team for whatever parish he may serve after the seminary. A top prospect in the Oakland A’s minor league system announced during a conference call with reporters that he is entering St. Michael’s Abbey in Orange County, California this August. Desme, the 2009 Arizona Fall League MVP and a top-40 minor league player, decided to give up hitting curve balls for hitting Knights of Columbus chili dinners.
When asked about his calling, Desme is quoted in the San Francisco Chronicle and Major League Baseball’s website as saying:
“I’m doing well in baseball,” he said. “But I had to get down to the bottom of things, to what was good in my life, what I wanted to do with my life. Baseball is a good thing, but that felt selfish of me when I felt that God was calling me more. It took awhile to trust that and open up to it and aim full steam toward him.
“I love the game, but I’m going to aspire to higher things.”
For the rest of Smith’s post click here .
Crisis Magazine Comments Policy
This is a Catholic forum. As such:
- All comments must directly address the article. “I tell you, on the day of judgment men will render account for every careless word they utter.” (Matthew 12:36)
- No profanity, ad hominems, hot tempers, or racial or religious invectives. “And be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you.” (Ephesians 4:32)
- We will not tolerate heresy, calumny, or attacks upon our Holy Mother Church or Holy Father. “And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the powers of death shall not prevail against it.” (Matthew 16:18)
- Keep it brief. No lengthy rants or block quotes. “For you are a mist that appears for a little time and then vanishes.” (James 4:14)
- If you see a comment that doesn’t meet our standards, please flag it so a moderator may remove it. “Brethren, if a man is overtaken in any trespass, you who are spiritual should restore him in a spirit of gentleness.” (Galatians 6:1)
- All comments may be removed at the moderators’ discretion. “But of that day and hour no one knows…” (Matthew 24:36)
- Crisis isn’t responsible for the content of the comments box. Comments do not represent the views of Crisis magazine, its editors, authors, or publishers. “Why do you pass judgment on your brother? Or you, why do you despise your brother? For we shall all stand before the judgment seat of God… So each of us shall give account of himself to God.” (Romans 14:10, 12)