October 28, 2010
Michigan woman cited for Christian roommate ad
Hard to believe, but a Michigan woman posted an ad on her church bulletin board for a Christian roommate and was then cited by the state for violating the Fair Housing Act by discriminating against people of other faiths.
The 31-year-old woman is not a landlord or a management company, but a homeowner looking for someone to move in and share her space. Apparently the offending sentence in her ad was, “I am looking for a Christian roommate . . .”
The Alliance Defense Fund is representing the woman, and you can read more about the story here and here.
Is it my imagination, or does Michigan seem to have a lot of these state vs. religion cases? It’s as bad as the state of Ohio going after homeschoolers and food cooperatives. I thought these were the kind of states that could be counted on for being more reasonable than, say, Massachusetts. Apparently not.
Crisis Magazine Comments Policy
This is a Catholic forum. As such:
- All comments must directly address the article. “I tell you, on the day of judgment men will render account for every careless word they utter.” (Matthew 12:36)
- No profanity, ad hominems, hot tempers, or racial or religious invectives. “And be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you.” (Ephesians 4:32)
- We will not tolerate heresy, calumny, or attacks upon our Holy Mother Church or Holy Father. “And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the powers of death shall not prevail against it.” (Matthew 16:18)
- Keep it brief. No lengthy rants or block quotes. “For you are a mist that appears for a little time and then vanishes.” (James 4:14)
- If you see a comment that doesn’t meet our standards, please flag it so a moderator may remove it. “Brethren, if a man is overtaken in any trespass, you who are spiritual should restore him in a spirit of gentleness.” (Galatians 6:1)
- All comments may be removed at the moderators’ discretion. “But of that day and hour no one knows…” (Matthew 24:36)
- Crisis isn’t responsible for the content of the comments box. Comments do not represent the views of Crisis magazine, its editors, authors, or publishers. “Why do you pass judgment on your brother? Or you, why do you despise your brother? For we shall all stand before the judgment seat of God… So each of us shall give account of himself to God.” (Romans 14:10, 12)