December 17, 2010
Living off the grid is illegal in Iowa
If you want to irritate the heck out of me, send me a link to a story like this.
Dick Thompson, a 72 year-old Iowan man, lives in a trailer on 32 acres of land that he purchased from his parents. He prefers simple living — no plumbing or electricity — and has a few animals. But according to Madison county officials, he’s breaking too many ordinances and laws by living this way. So on November 30, he was served an eviction notice.
“I’m a country boy,” explains Thompson. “I just want to be left alone.”
If government officials can prove his lifestyle is harming the public, fine. Until then, this man’s liberties are being denied him. It’s obvious what the county’s real motivation is: they want his land developed so they can collect more revenues. It’s a combination of government over-reach and greed.
(Hat tip: The Market Ticker)
Crisis Magazine Comments Policy
This is a Catholic forum. As such:
- All comments must directly address the article. “I tell you, on the day of judgment men will render account for every careless word they utter.” (Matthew 12:36)
- No profanity, ad hominems, hot tempers, or racial or religious invectives. “And be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you.” (Ephesians 4:32)
- We will not tolerate heresy, calumny, or attacks upon our Holy Mother Church or Holy Father. “And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the powers of death shall not prevail against it.” (Matthew 16:18)
- Keep it brief. No lengthy rants or block quotes. “For you are a mist that appears for a little time and then vanishes.” (James 4:14)
- If you see a comment that doesn’t meet our standards, please flag it so a moderator may remove it. “Brethren, if a man is overtaken in any trespass, you who are spiritual should restore him in a spirit of gentleness.” (Galatians 6:1)
- All comments may be removed at the moderators’ discretion. “But of that day and hour no one knows…” (Matthew 24:36)
- Crisis isn’t responsible for the content of the comments box. Comments do not represent the views of Crisis magazine, its editors, authors, or publishers. “Why do you pass judgment on your brother? Or you, why do you despise your brother? For we shall all stand before the judgment seat of God… So each of us shall give account of himself to God.” (Romans 14:10, 12)