May 4, 2010
James Dobson pulls Kentucky endorsement and throws support to Rand Paul
Last week, Focus on the Family founder James Dobson endorsed candidate Trey Grayson in his primary race against Rand Paul for Kentucky’s open U.S. Senate seat. Yesterday, Dobson shocked the Kentucky political establishment by pulling that endorsement, and switching his support to Paul.
Dobson felt tricked by some in the Republican leadership, and let them know it:
I was given misleading information about the candidacy of Dr. Rand Paul, who is running in the Republican Primary for the U.S. Senate. Senior members of the GOP told me Dr. Paul is pro-choice and that he opposes many conservative perspectives, so I endorsed his opponent.
But now I’ve received further information from OB/GYN’s in Kentucky whom I trust, and from interviewing the candidate himself.
I now know that he is avidly pro life. He believes that life begins at conception….
If I lived in Kentucky, I would vote for Dr. Rand Paul.
Paul now has the endorsement of Beverly LaHaye and Concerned Women for America, Northern Kentucky Right to Life, former-Governor Sarah Palin, and now, James Dobson. It’s going to be near-impossible for the Grayson campaign and their allies in the party establishment to continue claiming that Paul is pro-choice.
Of course, that doesn’t mean they won’t try.
Crisis Magazine Comments Policy
This is a Catholic forum. As such:
- All comments must directly address the article. “I tell you, on the day of judgment men will render account for every careless word they utter.” (Matthew 12:36)
- No profanity, ad hominems, hot tempers, or racial or religious invectives. “And be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you.” (Ephesians 4:32)
- We will not tolerate heresy, calumny, or attacks upon our Holy Mother Church or Holy Father. “And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the powers of death shall not prevail against it.” (Matthew 16:18)
- Keep it brief. No lengthy rants or block quotes. “For you are a mist that appears for a little time and then vanishes.” (James 4:14)
- If you see a comment that doesn’t meet our standards, please flag it so a moderator may remove it. “Brethren, if a man is overtaken in any trespass, you who are spiritual should restore him in a spirit of gentleness.” (Galatians 6:1)
- All comments may be removed at the moderators’ discretion. “But of that day and hour no one knows…” (Matthew 24:36)
- Crisis isn’t responsible for the content of the comments box. Comments do not represent the views of Crisis magazine, its editors, authors, or publishers. “Why do you pass judgment on your brother? Or you, why do you despise your brother? For we shall all stand before the judgment seat of God… So each of us shall give account of himself to God.” (Romans 14:10, 12)