October 22, 2010
Friday Free for All: October 22
Time for some Friday morning links:
- In the wake of Juan Williams’s firing from NPR, many are again calling for an end to public funding for the news organization. Bill O’Reilly announced that Jim DeMint will introduce legislation to do just that later today, calling NPR a “totalitarian outfit functioning as an arm of the far left.”
- Gunther von Hagens, the man behind the Body Worlds exhibits, will now be selling preserved bodies and body parts online. But don’t worry, it’s still all in good taste!
- Over at Slate, Timothy Noah is skeptical about the Stewart/Colbert rally next weekend. Their brand of political satire may work well for a comedy show, he says, but “as a sentiment shouted through a bullhorn to thousands stretched between the U.S. Capitol and the Washington Monument, it will translate into, well, judging other people for what they don’t know.”
- Everybody knows this painting of the Madonna and Child. (Heck, you probably have a copy of it somewhere in your house right now.) But did you know the interesting story behind it? Read it all here.
- Michael Cieply at the New York Times laments a dearth of quotable movies from the recent past. Essentially, “Release the Kraken” is no “Here’s looking at you, kid.” Is he right, or do some movies just have a 70-year head start?
- Yesterday’s news becomes today’s remixes. Below, NY gubernatorial candidate Jimmy “The Rent Is Too DAMN High” McMillan gets the Up treatment.
Crisis Magazine Comments Policy
This is a Catholic forum. As such:
- All comments must directly address the article. “I tell you, on the day of judgment men will render account for every careless word they utter.” (Matthew 12:36)
- No profanity, ad hominems, hot tempers, or racial or religious invectives. “And be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you.” (Ephesians 4:32)
- We will not tolerate heresy, calumny, or attacks upon our Holy Mother Church or Holy Father. “And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the powers of death shall not prevail against it.” (Matthew 16:18)
- Keep it brief. No lengthy rants or block quotes. “For you are a mist that appears for a little time and then vanishes.” (James 4:14)
- If you see a comment that doesn’t meet our standards, please flag it so a moderator may remove it. “Brethren, if a man is overtaken in any trespass, you who are spiritual should restore him in a spirit of gentleness.” (Galatians 6:1)
- All comments may be removed at the moderators’ discretion. “But of that day and hour no one knows…” (Matthew 24:36)
- Crisis isn’t responsible for the content of the comments box. Comments do not represent the views of Crisis magazine, its editors, authors, or publishers. “Why do you pass judgment on your brother? Or you, why do you despise your brother? For we shall all stand before the judgment seat of God… So each of us shall give account of himself to God.” (Romans 14:10, 12)