August 6, 2010
Battles lines drawn in milk
One of the best examples of the battle between personal freedom and government regulation is the raw dairy issue.
More people are turning to raw dairy — often for health reasons — and because of this, we’re seeing more crackdowns by regulatory bodies. Just a few months ago, an Amish farmer not far from me was raided before dawn by the feds, who showed up with guns to look for raw dairy he might be selling.
The L.A. Times reported last month that Rawesome Food, an organic and raw foods store in L.A., was recently raided for the same thing. A video of the incident was obtained by Survive and Thrive TV, an independent company, and shows just how excessive and ridiculous things have become:
The law is the law, of course. But seriously, raiding an organic food store with guns drawn? The government and Big Ag like to hide together behind the “keeping people safe” message because it sounds good — who can disagree with it? But the more I observe and learn, the more I’m convinced that this is primarily about control and money.
Crisis Magazine Comments Policy
This is a Catholic forum. As such:
- All comments must directly address the article. “I tell you, on the day of judgment men will render account for every careless word they utter.” (Matthew 12:36)
- No profanity, ad hominems, hot tempers, or racial or religious invectives. “And be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you.” (Ephesians 4:32)
- We will not tolerate heresy, calumny, or attacks upon our Holy Mother Church or Holy Father. “And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the powers of death shall not prevail against it.” (Matthew 16:18)
- Keep it brief. No lengthy rants or block quotes. “For you are a mist that appears for a little time and then vanishes.” (James 4:14)
- If you see a comment that doesn’t meet our standards, please flag it so a moderator may remove it. “Brethren, if a man is overtaken in any trespass, you who are spiritual should restore him in a spirit of gentleness.” (Galatians 6:1)
- All comments may be removed at the moderators’ discretion. “But of that day and hour no one knows…” (Matthew 24:36)
- Crisis isn’t responsible for the content of the comments box. Comments do not represent the views of Crisis magazine, its editors, authors, or publishers. “Why do you pass judgment on your brother? Or you, why do you despise your brother? For we shall all stand before the judgment seat of God… So each of us shall give account of himself to God.” (Romans 14:10, 12)