I missed this one: In June, Nancy Frazier O’Brien at Catholic News Service wrote about a new Government Accountability Office (GAO) report on the amount of federal funding given to organizations that perform or promote abortion. Between 2002 and 2009 — during the Bush administration, in other words — the number was a staggering $967 million.
The report, requested by Rep. Pete Olson (R-TX) and 30 other members of Congress, was released to the public on June 16th. The following six organizations received government funding during those years:
- Advocates for Youth: $8.7 million
- Guttmacher Institute: $12.7 million
- International Planned Parenthood Federation: $3.9 million
- Planned Parenthood Federation of America: $657.1 million
- Population Council of the United States: $284.5 million
- Sexuality Information and Education Council of the United States: $300,000
Nearly all of these expenditures were administered by the U.S. Department of health and Human Services, or the U.S. Agency for International Development. The remaining went through the Departments of Housing and Urban Development, Agriculture, and Justice.
Frazier O’Brien also reports that USAID shipped $7.6 million worth of “contraceptive commodities” to International Planned Parenthood Federation.