November 11, 2010
A Short Note to the CCHD Response
In the response the CCHD sent to me yesterday, there was no mention of the incontrovertible evidence that the Coalition of Immokalee Workers belongs to coalitions publicly supporting abortion.
As I pointed out in my article, this is in direct violation of the new CCHD Ethical Guidelines.
The CCHD instead focused on an issue about the participation of CIW in a conference which was not offered as evidence of anything other than being a “red flag.”
Such clever rhetorical diversions do not bolster our confidence in the intention of the CCHD to push forward with its reforms.
It’s becoming apparent to me, the CCHD is looking for ways to explain away the membership of grant recipients in offending coalitions rather than enforcing the rules.
But I hope I am wrong about that.
Finally, it is not uncharitable to apply CCHD’s own published guidelines to facts present in the public domain.
The charge that those who publish research about the CCHD are being uncharitable is merely another rhetorical tactic intended to divert attention from the hard facts being presented.
The links to evidence are clearly marked in my article from Tuesday. This is precisely the kind of evidence that led to the defunding of five CCHD grantees earlier this year.
I look forward to a response from the CCHD that does not dodge the evidence.
Crisis Magazine Comments Policy
This is a Catholic forum. As such:
- All comments must directly address the article. “I tell you, on the day of judgment men will render account for every careless word they utter.” (Matthew 12:36)
- No profanity, ad hominems, hot tempers, or racial or religious invectives. “And be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you.” (Ephesians 4:32)
- We will not tolerate heresy, calumny, or attacks upon our Holy Mother Church or Holy Father. “And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the powers of death shall not prevail against it.” (Matthew 16:18)
- Keep it brief. No lengthy rants or block quotes. “For you are a mist that appears for a little time and then vanishes.” (James 4:14)
- If you see a comment that doesn’t meet our standards, please flag it so a moderator may remove it. “Brethren, if a man is overtaken in any trespass, you who are spiritual should restore him in a spirit of gentleness.” (Galatians 6:1)
- All comments may be removed at the moderators’ discretion. “But of that day and hour no one knows…” (Matthew 24:36)
- Crisis isn’t responsible for the content of the comments box. Comments do not represent the views of Crisis magazine, its editors, authors, or publishers. “Why do you pass judgment on your brother? Or you, why do you despise your brother? For we shall all stand before the judgment seat of God… So each of us shall give account of himself to God.” (Romans 14:10, 12)